Thursday, August 28, 2008

Can I have some more alone time with the rack?

So this week I have been marathon clothes shoping like never before. Holy freakin' crap. Tuesday and Wednesday were spent at two different malls searching for things that prove elusive. Namely, skirts that reach to the mid calf and are small enough to fit me. I tell you, in those two malls there were about 4 skirts that satisfied those criteria, and three out of the four were dry clean only for care. And the fourth was ugly. You would think that being in Utah it wouldn't be this hard to find appropriate missionary clothes! So then my mom searched online for things and found stuff for massive amounts of money and then being online I couldn't very well try any on to know if they would really fit me or not. My dad told us to search for "missionary emporium" or something, despite our outbreathings that such a place was only for guys, and by some miracle there is not only a place called "missionary mall," but there is also a place called "sister missionary mall!" Certainly they would have appropriate clothing that would fit me!

So we went there today. It is in Provo. What a drive! And what a day of shopping! After two other long days of shopping! I think we were in that store (even though it has mall in the name, it is really just a store) for three hours. Mind you, for all of those three hours I was constantly changing clothes and looking at color schemes. near the end, while I was trying to decide on colors, the lady kept asking me what I wanted and I finally just asked her if I could have some alone time with the rack. Those kinds of decisions can't be rushed! Especially since these are all the clothes I am going to be wearing for the next year and a half! To put this in perspective, or, for some idea of the enormity of this shopping trip, whether it means anything to you or not, we bought 4 skirts (a navy A-line, a brown A-line, a light brown half-full, and a grey half-full), 6 shirts (2 short sleeve--white and green; 4 long sleeve--white, pink, blue, and tan striped), a dress (red), a jumper (blue), a scarf to go with the dress, and a bag. So this evening I have been bit dizzy and I should probably go to bed now. And there is more shopping ahead of me.

We already bought shoes, three shirts, and exercise clothes, and have yet to get pajamas, luggage, first aid kit, and then we have been unsuccessful at finding me a suit so my sister is going to make me one. Yes, even the sister missionary mall did not have a suit jacket that fit me. Sad, huh? I think it would be nice to have a suit. And it will be black since I couldn't get a black skirt yet. But that means I have to go shopping to buy the black fabric. D'oh! We went to a fabic store yesterday and it was awful! They didnt seem to have anything I liked! Dressing modestly is so hard! I wonder what sister missionaries do that don't live in Utah. Where in the world would they be able to find what they need? Wow. I'm still dizzy so I probably shouldn't think about that too hard. Maybe I'll ask people in the MTC. Which is less than two weeks away. Good night everybody!

2 comments:

ChelsE said...

oh sharon, im sorry. . . but that is quite the adventure you must admit ;) anyways I hope you were able to squeeze at least a little enjoyment out of the shopping experience ;) well ttyl!

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes. The joy of mission clothes shopping. I gt some good stuff off Lands' End back in the day but you're a little short on time for that now. If I remember right, the Ogden mall has a Lands' End section which might be worth looking at. I got my black suit jacket at the Canadian equivalent of Ross. You're welcome to look at it (in the closet)--it might fit. It's a tad worn but if you want it it's yours. Come to think of it, you're welcome to any of the skirts in there too--I haven't been able to wear them for a couple years (gained weight) but they are cute and MIGHT fit... Check them out. DLG =)