So, the first of December was the second-to-last day of class. I had a 7:30 class that day. When I was headed out the door at 7:15 (yeah, I know...) my mom says, "are you sure you want to go outside?" And I'm thinking like, of course, I have to go to school... She tried to talk me into taking the nice car but I didn't. Apparently much of I-15 was closed because of semis blowing over. Once I started driving I did realize it was quite windy. Up on the highway there was stuff blowing around like branches and trash, and I saw shingles flying off buildings. On the other highway I hit a branch but it wasn't bad. Getting to the building from the car was fun, being as light as I am. The door was really hard to open.
I was late and had somehow left my notebook at home so I didn't actually go to class. I went out the 2nd exit (even harder to open) and to the next building. It was really loud there with the wind blowing around, you could hear it. The guys I needed to see there didn't show up so I went back to the other building through the 3rd door. When I walked back through to where the 2nd door is, some people told me how the wind just blew it shut and all the glass shattered and it was an amazing mess! I was too scared to go look at it. As more people began arriving at school, the stories got more intense. They saw trees blowing over, debris smashing car windows and cars, fast-food signs exploding, power lines coming down, etc, I was sure glad I got to school early even though I didn't go to class!
The glass ceiling in another building was getting stuff on top of it and breaking it somewhat and the college sent everyone text messages to not leave the buildings they were in around 9:15. My 9:30 class was supposed to take the final exam. We tried contacting the professor to convince him that that shouldn't be necessary anymore but to no avail. We went to class, and had our exam, but the north wall is 80% glass and it was loud and scary and distracting. At around 11 the university texted everyone again to say that classes were cancelled until the afternoon, and to stay inside until it was safe. Not a problem for me, I had a lot to do.
I finally left around 4 and had to go to a copy place, but the standard one(s) I would have gone to (and everywhere else on or around Harrison Boulevard was closed for damage/power problems, so I had to go to this other place and they made me do it all myself which wasn't cool but it got done since Dec. 1 was the deadline. The trees by the parking lot had fallen down and crews were already cutting them up. Stop lights had blown off their poles and gotten lost. Many places between Ogden and Layton had lost power and places further south where the wind had actually been worse. Many homes (especially ones close to the mountains) lost shingles, fences, and trees.
I just figured it was December saying "Hello." So, I said "Hello" back, with the quip, "We love you too!" Sarcasm! Roofs are still shingle-less in places and many fences are still down. But we are all okay and that shouldn't happen for another 50 years or so. There's your story :-) Sorry I take so long sometimes!
You Never Forget When...
7 years ago
2 comments:
Geez! I'm glad you lived to tell about it ;-).
I'm glad everyone else did, too. Broken doors are still un-usable though.
Post a Comment