Saturday, October 16, 2010

Physics Pays Off

This weekend was the American Society of Physics, 4 Corners Section conference. It happened to be held at WSU so the HARBOR director pretty much made all of us do presentations of some kind. This is the "poster" I've mentioned before. Murielle and I, the "camera team" submitted a poster for the conference and had some fun making it beautiful and awesome (like science fair for grown-ups, I suppose), but little did we expect in the awards ceremony mine was the first name read off! There were 50 posters and 5 of them won. This apparently was a real kind of contest and so they gave us $100! Who knew?


Our project was using a still camera to verify data taken from other instruments on High Altitude weather-balloon-type flights. We proved that our camera was reliable and then used it to prove the other science-y equipment was reliable. We discovered something we like to call the "crud-o-pause" in the atmosphere and there's still plenty of research to do to understand it more. Science rocks, people! And who knew it would actually pay off so soon? I recommend it to anyone. And not because it pays off, but, in the words of Dr. Palen, "because it is so fantastic!" Happy Day :-)

No comments: