Saturday, July 17, 2010

Friday

It began in the morning, I really didn't want to get up. I did at the last minute and got ready to go in order to catch the FrontRunner with my bike. Well, I didn't make it. When that's the case, I could wait about 15 minutes for the 640 bus to come by and still be on time to work. I elected this time to take off on my bike down Main St. and see how far I could get before the bus caught up to me. I am training for a triathlon! Little did I know how incredibly slow the bus is. I almost caught up to the one ahead of the one I was racing . . . and the one I gave a 15 minute head start to only passed me when I was halfway up the WSU campus! No point in getting on :-) So the bike ride I did last week in 1 hour and 19 minutes I just did the opposite way in about that long. I wasn't wearing my watch this time so I fail at being exact. I was pretty impressed with myself, though. Accidentally biking 13 miles to Weber State.

It was also the last day of Science in the Parks. Fridays are usually pretty cool. I got to play with the dry ice bubbles again. We tried dyeing some red but the bubbles were still white . . . That's real science right there. Then one small child, in his attempt to pop the awesome smoking bubbles, slammed the cup so hard it fell and all the soap went on my shoe. Oh well. We always make some super awesome fountains of Diet Coke and Mentos, and this time they convinced me to pull one of the strings. The plan was to do three at once from a small distance, and aim towards a central point. We shortly realized why that was a dumb idea. Everyone forgot that the Mentos don't all fall in if the thing isn't straight . . . so I'm standing there holding a bottle of Diet Coke (and wearing an apron!) and all it does is just spew all over me. Then the kids come over and want to hold it--it was a trick to keep them away. But then some got it and just wanted more of the Coke to spray out so they squeeze it and everything runs down my arm again. Rrrrr. Oh well. I believe this event was videoed. But don't get me wrong here, I had fun and everyone should see this video if and when it finds its way onto the internet. I just had to wash my arms and the apron saved my clothes so it's all good.

Back at the school, we wanted to make a giant thing of silly putty and drop it off the roof. For the kids they get to use a small baggie of glue and a squirt of borax to do this. For us, we used an entire gallon of glue and a large beaker full of borax! It was awesome! It took a long time to mix up, and we split it into two bags so then one got real stiff and the other was more flowy and then it was a job recombining them. But awesome. We put red food coloring in, and at times it sort of looked like organs. We had some FUN with that I tell you. ("This is your lungs. This is your lungs on drugs" and "This is your heart. This is your heart on drugs.") It got to a pretty good consistency and they took it upstairs. I offered to catch it at the bottom. We positioned a kiddie pool nicely at the bottom and just waited for it. The idea was to let it stretch itself downward and see how far it would go. Sadly, the farthest it ever got was about one story, but the whole plummeting to the earth part was pretty cool too. I saved some of this putty. It must live out an adventurous, epic life. Hope you enjoyed the stories!

No comments: