Monday, April 18, 2011

Is anyone a lawyer?

If you are a lawyer and you are reading this, please help me!

Is there no way to enter the U.S. without waiting forever for a visa?
Is there any way to get a visa in less than 5 months?
Will writing to my senator make any difference?
Is it true that it is harder to get a K-3 spouse visa than a K-1 fiance visa?
If I marry someone out of the country, how hard is it really for him to come into the country?
What is the USCIS really doing with my petition?
Is there any way to know how much longer I have to wait?
Why don't I get any real answers even if I DO talk to a real person on the phone?
Is it harder for me to get through this process because I'm the girl?
Why is it so dang hard to enter the country legally?
Whatever happened to "All men are created equal" anyway?

I'm sure you can imagine I have many more questions along the same lines. You can't blame me. If you know any of the answers, please share! I'll feel so much better knowing that there ARE, in fact, answers!

1 comment:

Lionheartg said...

As I often remind my students, I am NOT a lawyer.

However, I've realized a thing or two in teaching a Government class and applying the things we discuss to the REAL world.

"All men are created equal" is in the Declaration of Independence. It is NOT in the Constitution, which actually sets up the current government structure and delegates authority for immigration and citizenship rules to Congress. National hysteria in the post-9/11 world, coupled with recent anti-immigrant rhetoric (courtesy of the so-called "Great Recession") has only inclined them to complicating the process.

Much to my students' chagrin, and yours.

It doesn't help that most Americans are blindly ignorant of the absurdity of the process.

And, oh by the way, Congress had nothing to do with what's written on the Statue of Liberty.

There has ALWAYS been tension between "native born" Americans of at least three-generations citizenship and the new comers. Even Ben Franklin strongly disliked Germans for a while for fear they would "take over" and make all the English folks change. Of course he eventually got over that. It's just unfortunate the anti-group is currently driving the train.

Things will work out. They always do. For the best, even. Be patient and enjoy the ride.

In case of stress relief needs, I own a pickaxe, a sledge hammer, and a wide variety of power tools.